14 January 2010

For the love of Khorne!



In the thick of my tournament gaming years I was building a new army for almost every tournament I went to – certainly every tournament 'season' – and the army that I consider the pinnacle of that was my Beastman Bezerker army. It was devastating.

In every 'Pitched Battle' game I played I could guarantee two things: In turns 1 to 3 I would be on the receiving end of long-range firepower big time and lose vehicles and a few men; by turn 4 the Bloodthirster was here and the 'Terror Twins' would send the enemy into blind panic, just in time for the Bezerkers to arrive and clean up. To lesser players it was a guaranteed 20-0 massacre, to veteran gamers it was a challenge. The only problem I had was with an Alpha Legion army that infiltrated in force after I had set up – by the end of turn 1 I had lost all my vehicles and my 'thirster was on a standing count. The game ended in a draw (although I had more points) but I was happy!



The army was a last minute decision and was tweaked up until a month before the GT. The inspiration for the Bezerkers came from a Possessed Marine unit for my Thousand Sons that involved just using up lots of leftover bits and greenstuff. I had just started a WH Chaos army with a large Beastman unit so had plenty of bits. I then gathered all the marine parts I could find and started sticking quite randomly. I bought all the vehicles new (tut, tut!) in complete contrast, as well as Forgeworld extra armour (oh dear!) so the idea of it being a budget army went out of the window very quickly.


The Shaggoth was the obvious choice for a Khorne Daemon Prince with a Bezerker Glaive who could fleet of foot then charge 12" every turn (that guy clocked up some mileage!). For the Bloodthirster I did a head and weapon swap with a Minotaur, which was perfect.



The vehicles unfortuately did not match the rest of the army – I'd run out of time completely, and was still painting them the night before GT. I always intended to go back to them but never did – in fact I am currently re-shaping the Rhinos for my new Nurgle boys (it's all about recycling!!).

For anyone interested the army list went something like this:

LORD NYGAARD’S BEZERKER CORSAIRS

• Lord / Mark Khorne / Bezerker Glaive / Daemonic Stature / Feel No Pain / Daemonic Strength / Daemonic Resilience / Daemonic Speed

• BloodThirster

• Marines / x8 / Mark Khorne / 8x ChainAxe / 1x Champion / 8x Frags / 8x Furious Charge / Rhino / Extra Armour / Smoke

• Marines / x8 / Mark Khorne / 7x ChainAxe / 1x Champion / Power Fist / Daemonic Strength / 8x Frags / 8x Furious Charge / Rhino / Extra Armour / Smoke

• Marines / x8 / Mark Khorne / 7x ChainAxe / 1x Champion / Power Fist / Daemonic Strength / 8x Frags / 8x Furious Charge / Rhino / Extra Armour / Smoke

• Predator / Twin-Linked Lascannon / Heavy Bolter Sponsons / Extra Armour

• Predator / Twin-Linked Lascannon / Heavy Bolter Sponsons / Extra Armour

• Predator / Autocannon / Lascannon Sponsons / Extra Armour

1 comment:

  1. I love the use of the shaggoth as a deamon anything. All those WHFB pieces beg for use in 40k. Why not use them?

    ReplyDelete